Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Food Battles



Okay, so I'm admitting that we've started a bad habit of letting Graham dictate to us what he wants to eat at dinner time. For some reason that meal is the hardest meal to get him to be content eating. The routine we've fallen into is to offer him up to 3 options just trying to figure out what he will eat because more than likely, he doesn't want the first few suggestions. It is nothing for me to get up several times during the meal and pull something else out of the fridge or cabinet to heat up, etc to try to please him with. It has finally started to get to me so I'm trying to stand my ground. I know that I'm raising a picky eater if I let him make me into a 'short order cook' with whatever he wants. My friend Kelly has encouraged me to stick to offering him one thing and that be it. She has been doing that with her little girl and it is paying off. So last night I fixed Graham some tasty garden veggie rice with some yummy turkey with cheese and crushed chips like a taco salad...well, the only thing he would even open his mouth to try were the little chips. Mind you, he's eaten things like this before and enjoyed them just fine. He wanted something else, but that is all I would give him and I must say it felt a little empowering this morning to know he slept through the night without waking up hungry (like he's an infant or something! ha!) There are other things I would like to do to make our dinner time together more special- starting off with us sitting down as much as possible all 3 of us together which we aren't consistent with now. So this is just the first step in helping Graham try new things! Please pray that I can stick witht it!

3 comments:

  1. So proud of you girl! Yes, this is a situation in many homes today. You want to please and offer more choices, but when it gets to the child and parent becoming frustrated = not worth the frustration. Kids will not starve themselves, if they are hungry, they will eat more the next meal. Power strugles are not fun, especially at meal time. Vanessa, you are so strong, I believe you can do it! Good Job. So proud of the mother you are! Love you my friend. Hugs, Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for that encouragement! I am feeling really good about this revelation in our family :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just like the cute messy face picture!! I love those! I think you are right! We have this same issues at our house so I'll have to try your approach!

    ReplyDelete

Followers